Tracing the path of the rays of light through a glass prism
To trace the path of the rays of light through glass prism.
- A drawing board
- Few drawing pins
- A glass prism
- Few sharp pointed alpins
- Three sheets of white paper
- A measuring scale
- A pencil
- A protractor
A prism is a portion of refracting medium bounded by the planes inclined to each other at an angle.
When a ray of light travels from a rarer medium towards denser medium, it bends towards the normal. if the ray of light goes from denser to rarer, it bends away from the normal.
- Fix a sheet of white paper on a drawing board.
- Place the prism on the paper and mark its boundary as shown in figure.
- Remove the prism and draw a normal at E on side AB.
- Draw a line PE making an angle 30° with the normal.
- Fix two pins at P and Q on the line PE about 6 cm apart from each other.
- Place the prism back to its position.
- Look through face AC for images of pins P and Q. Fix points R and S so that they appear in line with the images of pins P and Q.
- Remove the pins and join RS to give emergent ray.
- Measure angle of emergence and angle of deviation after removing prism and the pins.
- Repeat the above procedure for two more angles of incidence i.e., 45° and 60°.
Angle of prism = 60°
|S.No.||Angle of incidence (∠i)||Angle of emergence (∠e)||Angle of deviation (∠δ)|
*These values may be different for different prism.
i + e = A + δ
Error Reduction and Precautions
- The angle of incidence should be in between 30° and 60°.
- Use a sharp pencil to properly draw boundary of prism and rays of light.
- The alpins should have sharp tip and should be fixed vertically.
- The distance between the alpins should be atleast 6 cm for greater accuracy.
- The prism should be smooth, transparent and clean.
Class 10 Physics Practicals
- To study the dependence of current on the potential difference with graph
- Determination of equivalent resistance of two resistors when connected in series
- Determination of equivalent resistance of two resistors when connected in parallel
- Determination of the focal length of Concave mirror by obtaining the image of a distant object
- Determination of the focal length of Convex lens by obtaining the image of a distant object
- Tracing the path of a ray of light passing through a rectangular glass slab for different angles of incidence
- Tracing the path of the rays of light through a glass prism
Class 10 Chemistry Practicals
- Finding the pH of the samples by using pH paper/universal indicator
- Studying the properties of acids and bases (HCl & NaOH) on the basis of their reaction
- Performing and observing the reactions and classifying them into: i. Combination reaction, ii. Decomposition reaction, iii. Displacement reaction and iv. Double displacement reaction
- Observing the action of Zn, Fe, Cu and Al metals on the salt solutions
- Studying the properties of acetic acid (ethanoic acid)
- Studying saponification reaction for preparation of soap
- Studying the comparative cleaning capacity of a sample of soap in soft and hard water
Class 10 Biology Practicals
- Preparing a temporary mount of a leaf peel to show stomata
- Showing experimentally that light is necessary for photosynthesis
- Experimentally show that carbon dioxide is given out during respiration
- Studying (a) binary fission in Amoeba, and (b) budding in yeast with the help of prepared slides
- Studying homology and analogy with the help of models/charts of animals and models/charts/specimens of plants
- Identification of the different parts of an embryo of a dicot seed (Pea, gram or red kidney bean)
Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.