Class 10 Metals and Non-Metals Previous Years QuestionsPrevious Years Questions Notes Important Questions
Metals And Non-Metals : Previous Years Questions
- Show the formation of Na2O by the transfer of electrons. [CBSE 2019] [2 Marks]
- Show the formation of magnesium oxide by the transfer of electrons. [CBSE 2019] [2 Marks]
- What are ionic compounds ? Why do ionic compounds not conduct electricity in the solid state? [CBSE 2019] [2 Marks]
- Out of three metals P, Q and R, P is less reactive than Q and R is more reactive than P and Q both. Suggest an activity to arrange P, Q and R in order of their decreasing reactivity. [CBSE 2019] [3 Marks]
- Name the ore of mercury. With the help of balanced chemical equations, explain the process of extraction of mercury from its ore. [CBSE 2019] [3 Marks]
- Two ores X and Y were taken. On heating these ores it was observed that
i. ore X gives CO2 gas, and
ii. ore Y gives SO2 gas.
Write steps to convert these ores into metals, giving chemical equations of the reactions that take place. [CBSE 2020] [5 Marks]
i. With the help of a diagram explain the method of refining of copper by electrolysis.
ii. How are broken railway tracks joined? Give the name of the process and the chemical equation of the reaction involved. [CBSE 2020] [5 Marks]
i. What is an amalgam?
ii. Why is solder used for making electrical fuse?
iii. What is galvanisation? State its significance.
iv. In the electrolytic refining of copper, name the anode and cathode used and electrolyte taken in the cell. [CBSE 2020] [5Marks]
i. Explain the formation of ionic compound, Al2O3 with electron-dot structure.
(Given atomic number of Al and O are 13 and 8 respectively)
ii. What happens when (report only observations)
a. a reactive metal reacts with a dilute mineral acid ?
b. an amphoteric oxide reacts with sodium hydroxide solution ?
c. a metal of low reactivity is dropped in the salt solution of a metal high reactivity ?
d. a metal carbonate is treated with acid ? [CBSE 2020] [5 Marks]
i. Write the steps involved in the extraction of pure metals in the middle of the activity series from their carbonate ores.
ii. How is copper extracted from its sulphide ore ? Explain the various steps supported by chemical equations. Draw labelled diagram for the electrolytic refining of copper. [CBSE 2018] [5 Marks]